- 6 oz shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 16 oz package phyllo dough, thawed
- 6 oz walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. of ground cloves
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- ⅓ cup coconut shavings
- 2 Tbsp. ground cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Set aside a handful of chopped pistachios to sprinkle on top. Using your Russell Hobbs food processor, coarsely chop hazelnuts, walnuts and remaining pistachios.
- Combine the remaining chopped nuts in a mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Stir to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Unroll phyllo and measure against a 13″ x 9″ x 2″ baking pan. Trim phyllo to better fit your baking dish.
- Now spread the phyllo sheet on top of a damp towel, and cover with a second damp towel. This just ensures the phyllo doesn’t tear while handling.
- Lightly brush the baking dish with a bit of the melted butter. Take one sheet of phyllo and line the baking pan with it, fold in any excess. Brush the phyllo sheet with butter.
- Then, continue this process until you use up about 1/3 of the package of dough.
- Add filling in 3 lines long ways with the dough. Offset the filling so when you cut the dough the filling will be in the center of the roll.
- Layer another 1/3 of the phyllo following the same process as before. Now distribute the remaining half of the nut mixture over the top layer.
- Layer the remaining phyllo sheets following the same process as before.
- Now cut your dough (with filling in it) into the three sections and roll them into a tight line.
- If needed, trim off excess phyllo. Generously brush the very top layer of phyllo with butter.
- Finally, bake on a low rack for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until golden. You can test it with a skewer by inserting it into the center. It will come out clean when it is done. IMPORTANT…Because ovens vary, be sure to check your baklava half way through baking.
- While the baklava is baking, make the honey syrup. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat stove-top, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Add the honey, orange juice, coconut shavings and cloves; stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Add lemon juice.
- When ready, remove the baklava from the oven and immediately pour the cooled honey syrup to cover the entire hot baklava. Let set to completely absorb the syrup.
- A few hours later, cut the baklava carefully through the rolls to desired size. You can add a thin strip of chocolate sauce to the top and sprinkle pistachios reserved over the top and serve
Source: Russell Hobbs