- 1 (8 oz.) package tempeh
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 4 Tbsp. melted coconut oil, divided
- 6 ciabatta rolls, sliced in half
- 2 slices greenhouse tomato, quartered
- 1 large lettuce leaf
“The Good Sauce”
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- Cut the tempeh crosswise into 12 strips. In a medium-size bowl, mix together the soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke and 2 Tbsp. coconut oil. Add the tempeh strips and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together “The Good Sauce” ingredients. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. coconut oil over medium-high heat. Cook the tempeh for 2 minutes per side, until browned and crispy.
- Using the toaster, adjust the browning control to setting 4 and place 2 slices of bread in the toasting slots. Press the lever down fully to begin toasting cycle. Repeat with remaining slices.
- For assembly, spread “The Good Sauce” among 6 ciabatta halves. Layer with tempeh “bacon”, tomato and lettuce. Top with remaining ciabatta bun.
Source: Russell Hobbs