Balanced flavor is crucial for a tasty drink, but recipe isn’t everything. What we perceive as taste isn’t just about the flavors; smell and presentation play an equally important role – says Bitters and Brew.
Below, Bitters and Brew will show you how to craft and use the most popular types of citrus garnishes to up your home bar tending game.
Wedges, Wheels and Slices
To Cut Citrus Wheels and Slices
- Cut 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices with knife. Having a sharp paring knife will ensure the cut is clean.
- Cut a slit in the wheel up to the center so that it will sit on the rim of a glass. If you want to make a slice, cut the wheel in half.
- Make sure you remove the seeds with the paring knife before placing in drink.
To Cut Citrus Wedges
- First, cut off the “knobs” of the citrus fruit (the short ends) until you have a flat top and bottom.
- Set fruit on one flat edge and slice completely in half lengthwise.
- Set one half of the fruit down flat on your cutting board.
- Begin to slice wedges between 1/4-1/2 inch thick. This should net about 3-4 wedges per half.
- Cut a slit halfway into wedge and mount on rim of the glass.
Twists are slightly more complicated than wedges or wheels but are essential to making drinks like the Old Fashioned, Negroni, Sazerac, and countless others.You can cut a twist with a pairing knife, but using a good citrus peeler is highly recommended. It will give you better control and might save you from some unfortunate finger cuts. – Bitters and Brew.
- Hold a whole citrus fruit firmly in the palm of one hand
- Pull down gently. You just want the peel; leave as much of the fruit and pulp behind as possible.
- Once you have a small cut, grasp the top of the twist with your thump holding the fruit. Continue to pull gently with the cutting tool in your other hand until you reach the other end of the fruit.
- Inspect your twist. A proper twist should have as little of the “pith” as possible. The pith is the white spongy stuff on the underside of the peel. This is bitter, so you might want to cut some off if you have too much and avoid cutting as deep next time.
- Hold the twist lengthwise between your thumb and first two fingers on both hands. Pinch your fingers together to release the citrus oils over your drink. This gives it a pleasant citrus smell.
- Drop directly in drink or give it a “twist” to release more oils.
Spirals serve a similar purpose to twists but are more delicate. They are used in martini glass drinks like the Cosmopolitan and the Martini. – Bitters and Brew.
- Make sure you select only the freshest, firm, and thick-skinned citrus for this garnish.
- Using a channel knife (like this one from Microplane) start at the top of the fruit and cut slowly in a continuous strip.
- The best tactic is to keep your hand with the channel knife still, and firm and the rotate the citrus with your other hand. This allows you to maintain consistent pressure and maximize the peel.
- Arrange the finished spiral inside a narrow glass and drape one end over the rim.
Zests are the least common citrus garnish on this list and the most unique. Zests are optional but add a pleasant citrus aroma to foamy, creamy drinks like a Ramos Gin Fizz or a Gin sour as well as crushed ice cocktails such as the Queens Park Swizzle. – Bitters and Brew.
- Using a citrus zester like this, place your citrus on the grater and rub back and forth until you reach the white pith.
- Rotate the fruit to another section until you have removed the peel.
- Flip the grater over and remove the built-up zest.
- Sprinkle the zest over the cocktail.
Gourdo’s is a licensed distributor of Microplane in the Philippines.
100% BRAND NEW AND HIGH QUALITY. "THE MICROPLANE GARLIC MINCER QUICKLY GRATES SEVERAL CLOVES OF GARLIC AT ONCE INTO TINY BITS RETAINING ALL THEIR NATURAL OILS - THE KEY TO OPTIMUM FLAVOR! THE MINCER FEATURES A LARGE CAPACITY CHAMBER TO ACCOMMODATE 2-3 CLOVES OF PEELED GARLIC. THE TOP PART OF THE HOUSING STORES AN ON BOARD SCRAPER TO REMOVE GARLIC FROM THE BLADE. THE HOUSING BASE CATCHES THE GRATED GARLIC. USE THE GARLIC MINCER WHEN CHECKING OUT THIS YUMMY MONTANARA FRIED 3 CHEESE PIZZA RECIPE! PREP YOUR GARLIC FASTER AND GET MORE FLAVOR WITH THE MICROPLANE GARLIC MINCER! YOU CAN GRATE SEVERAL GARLIC CLOVES AT THE SAME TIME FOR FASTER FOOD PREP AND MORE FLAVORFUL RECIPES, BETTER THAN WITH A TRADITIONAL GARLIC PRESS. OUR GARLIC MINCER FEATURES A LARGE STORAGE CHAMBER, GARLIC CATCHER AND SCRAPER. PRODUCT DETAILS: TOOL DIMENSIONS: L 3"" X W 1 1/2"" X H 3 1/2"" GRATING SURFACE: 3 1/8"" X 7/8"" TRANSFORMS GARLIC INTO UNIFORM STRANDS UNLIKE A PRESS, THE GARLIC MINCER PRODUCES FINELY TEXTURED GARLIC PIECES USE A SIMPLE BACK AND FORTH MOTION TO OPERATE ON BOARD SCRAPER, HELPS KEEPS HANDS ODOR FREE ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED TO FIT COMFORTABLY IN YOUR HAND MATERIALS: BLADES MADE OF ETCHED SURGICAL GRADE STAINLESS STEEL WITH A PLASTIC BODY. BLADE MADE IN USA"Php875.00
100% BRAND NEW AND HIGH QUALITY. "• SPICE GRATER; USES MICROPLANE PHOTO-ETCHED BLADE TECHNOLOGY, WHICH ARE MADE IN THE USA TO GRIND CINNAMON AND GRATE NUTMEG FOR A FLAVOR BOOST TO YOUR FAVORITE DRINK OR DISH. • SPICE SAVIOR: A HANDY AIRTIGHT COMPARTMENT SITS ON TOP OF THE GRINDER, SIMPLY UNSCREW THE LID AND PUT YOUR WHOLE UNUSED OR PARTIALLY USED SPICES IN THIS LARGE ONBOARD CONTAINER. • TWIST TO GRIND - OUR ORIGINAL NUTMEG SHAKE AND GRATER GRATER WAS A HUGE HIT, AND THIS ONE IS EVEN BETTER. YOU JUST HAVE TO PUT ALL THE SPICE IN THE SILO, AND PLACE THE PLUNGER AT THE TOP, THEN SIMPLY TURN ONE DIRECTION WITH LIGHT PRESSURE TO QUICKLY FINISH WITH THE AMOUNT OF FRESH SPICES YOU NEED. NO BATTERIES, DON'T WORRY ABOUT DAMAGING YOUR KNUCKLES ON AN OPEN BLADE, JUST AN EASY TWIST. • LUXURY FINISHES: IF YOU WANT A SOFT AND VELVETY FINISH, WE GET IT. BY ADDING AN ADDITIONAL LAYER OF MICROPLANE MATERIAL YOU GIVE THIS SPICE GRINDER A • LUXURIOUSLY SMOOTH FINISH TO MAKE IT SATISFY 2 SENSES, AROMA AND TOUCH. • EASY TO CLEAN: WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THE DISHWASHER, BUT IT CAN BE USED. INSTEAD, RINSE (DO NOT SOAK) IN WARM SOAPY WATER TO REMOVE DRIED SPICE PARTICLES AND RINSE OFF NATURAL OIL BUILDUP."Php1,350.00
100% BRAND NEW AND HIGH QUALITY. THE MICROPLANE HERB MILL 2.0 IS JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL, BUT IMPROVED TO MAKE IT EASIER TO CLEAN, AND EASIER TO USE BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE INSIDE. YOU CAN USE THIS PATENTED HERB GRINDER TO STRIP THE LEAVES OFF THE STEMS BEFORE MINCING THEM. THIS HERB GRINDER MINCES FRESH HERBS LIKE PARSLEY, DILL, CILANTRO, SAGE, AND MINT WITH HUNDREDS OF TINY SCISSORS WITHOUT BRUISING OR BLEMISHING. IT HOLDS A GENEROUS SUPPLY OF HERBS IN THE LARGE CLEAR BODY AND SITS COMFORTABLY ON YOUR DINING TABLE OR COUNTER! • DUAL ACTION BLADES CUT HERBS LIKE SCISSORS WITHOUT BRUISING OR BLEMISHING • ONE FIXED BLADE FOR EASY ASSEMBLY AND CLEANING • INTEGRATED STRIPPER WITH GRADUATED HOLES GENTLY REMOVES LEAVES OF STEMMED HERBS • LARGE CAPACITY BODY IS CLEAR TO SEE CONTENTS AND CUTTING ACTION • ORIGINAL MICROPLANE STAINLESS STEEL BLADES ARE MADE IN USA "CARE INSTRUCTION: • TOP-RACK DISHWASHER SAFE. • WE RECOMMEND RINSING THE BLADES IN WARM WATER IMMEDIATELY AFTER EACH USE. REMOVE TRAPPED PARTICLES FROM THE NON-SHARP SIDE WHENEVER POSSIBLE. TO REMOVE TRAPPED PARTICLES, FIRST SOAK THE TOOL IN WARM WATER AND THEN USE A CLEANING BRUSH. "Php1,080.00Php1,350.00